Friday, March 11

The temptations of St. John, USVI


Oil Pastel on Paper
Evening Ferry to Red Hook
5x7
A quick trip to St. John, VI produced more R&R than ARRRT, this past week. Sometimes the desire to sample the sunshine that the islands offer, almost 365 days a year, and to become engulfed in the sounds, fragrances, tropical breezes and relaxation in this place, is too much to take. I caved!

But, one evening I pulled the oil pastels out of their little box and sat in front of the amazing show seen nightly from St. John -- the sun setting across Pillsbury Sound, behind the little islands that pepper the east end of St. Thomas where the ferry boats lazily go and come out of Red Hook.

For several hours I scratched out a few sunset pictures, capturing the scene as it changed from point to point.

Then, I packed away the oil pastel sticks and gave in to the beckoning sounds I heard from the activity of the evening in the little town of Cruz Bay, about a mile away. I should have stayed home to work on more art. But, all I could hear in my head were the words .... Dont worry, be happy! How can you argue with that?