Thursday, April 29

Night Lights - a new pastel



Night Lights
a pastel on sanded paper
framed  20x15

Night lighting creates shapes, reflections and colors that do not exist in the bright light of day. Everything changes ~ over water, everything becomes magically mysterious at night.
.
Reflections can dance or crash or hang quietly upside down, depending upon the elements. Rendering an impression of these late evening and night scenes offers a new artistic challenge and has captured my interest ...
Night Lights is my most recent pastel, completed today, and will be exhibited at the Great Lakes Boating Festival which takes place in three weeks.
.
Personal note ... walking the docks on a dead calm evening last summer, I felt like I had found secret treasure. The soft blue light that glows on, then off, on the tip of the majestic Yacht Club tower, also resides in the dark murky waters below the building... In all my years of perusing the harbor, I had never seen the twin of the tower light until that moment. Now, on totally calm nights, I regularly use the water as a magic mirror to view the scenes around me in a whole new "light".