Wednesday, September 9

Watching the Wake

Watching the Wake ~
Pastel on sanded paper, framed 23x35

One special evening a few weeks ago, I was treated to a trip back in time ~
I had not been to CLEAR LAKE in Indiana since I graduated high school! My buddy Marcia headed her car out of Bryan, Ohio and drove us both to Clear Lake for a slow drive around this marvelous lake and to retouch with the grand old days. At the end of our evening, with high school pals at my side, we took a pontoon ride while the sun set. I sat in the back, watching the wake behind us, as we floated on and on. The moment was special for many reasons, and this pastel commemorated the memory...
Working in the studio, I started and finished this pastel today... not quite the same as sitting on the pontoon, feeling the fresh evening breezes on the lake, laughing with friends as we made the trip all the way around the shoreline ~ but just as rewarding.
.
MUSEUM GLASS
.
Artists Note: Watching the Wake is a large pastel, framed, 23.5x35. This particular pastel has commanded a bit of special framing - it's been framed with Museum Glass. Museum Glass is an amazing bit of technology, not to be confused with non-glare glass, that allows the piece of art to appear to be protected with NO glass at all... in a few instances there is a bit of light reflection, but only minimally. Museum Glass covers a good number of paintings in museums, but viewers are hardly aware they are looking at their favorite artists oil painting protected by a piece of this miraculous stuff.
There are times when I have completed a pastel or oil pastel and felt the subtle colors were distracted by glare on the protective glass or Plexi. With this piece, framed as it is, I proudly take a step in the direction of being able to exhibit and offer my artwork for viewing almost as clearly and purely as if it came right off the studio floor.
(Yes. I work on the floor. That's another story).